The Health Concerns Pests Can Cause In Your Gilbert Home
September 30, 2021
Sometimes, “pests” is too innocent a term for the bugs, rodents, and wildlife that can infest your home. These unwelcome invaders are often more than just a simple nuisance; they can be a threat to your health and safety. If you aren't sure if professional pest control is right for you, take a look at some of the health concerns that pests can cause in your Gilbert home.
Why Pests Are A Risk To Your Health
The health risks of having pests should not be taken lightly. Most of us see a few ants or house flies and think nothing of it, swatting or crushing them as they appear. We retreat at the sight of a potentially venomous spider but don’t take the threat of other pests so seriously. After all, we don’t usually hear of folks getting hospitalized as a result of having cereal moths in the cabinet, and the majority of encounters with bugs and rodents aren’t medically significant.
But the truth is that many people underestimate the dangers that pests pose to their health. Bacteria, viruses, parasites, and allergic reactions are all known to be caused by some of the most common pests that can infest your Gilbert home.
Pests That Cause Health Problems
While ants can contaminate food and surfaces and crickets can transmit parasites, there are a few major culprits of health problems that you should know about.
- Cockroaches – Cockroaches not only transmit diseases like salmonellosis, dysentery, and gastroenteritis, but in large numbers, roaches can cause severe allergic reactions, leading to asthma and eczema in certain individuals.
- Rodents – Mice and rats are highly destructive, but are also known to transmit hantavirus, tularemia, and other diseases. A bite from a rat can cause the aptly named rat-bite fever (RBF), which can be fatal if not treated. Rodents can carry bloodsucking parasites like fleas and ticks, which can cause Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) and typhus, respectively.
- Houseflies – As pests that love to eat feces and rotting flesh, houseflies can spread dysentery, typhoid, cholera, and a host of other diseases. Contact with houseflies can even result in annoying eye infections.
- Mosquitoes – Pound for pound, mosquitoes are the deadliest animal on the planet, responsible for spreading a wide variety of dangerous diseases including West Nile virus, EEE, dengue fever, malaria, and more.
Why You Need Professional Pest Control Services
Getting rid of pests on your own isn’t always as easy as it seems. And the longer pests stick around, the more likely they are to cause health problems for you and your family. Eliminating bugs, rodents, or wildlife quickly and completely is essential for the continued safety and well-being of the people you care about.
That’s why at Green Home Pest Control, we’ve developed powerful residential pest control services to keep you safe. We work with you to develop a plan that fits your schedule and your needs. We offer eco-friendly treatment options and targeted services for everything from bed bugs to pigeons. Get in touch with us today to learn more about how we can help!
How To Prevent Pests In Your Gilbert Home
No two pests are completely alike, but there are some tried-and-true general pest control methods that are effective at protecting your home from a variety of pests. Some tips you can try include:
- Keep clean – Sweep, mop, and vacuum floors to eliminate food debris that attracts pests. Wipe up spills as they occur.
- Store food securely – Use glass or metal containers with locking lids to store your perishable pantry foods.
- Address moisture issues – Fix any leaky pipes and faucets. Ensure that drains and gutters are free of blockages. Ventilate basement and attic areas with electric fans, or install a dehumidifier.
- Prevent entry – Examine your property for cracks, holes, or openings. Stuff holes with steel wool and cover larger openings with metal mesh.
For more information about residential pest control in Gilbert, contact us today.