Is Wearing A Face Mask A Way To Protect Against Mosquitoes In Phoenix?
May 06, 2022
Mosquitoes are one pest that can ruin anything from an evening out to a camping trip, and their damage isn’t only limited to the outdoors. Learn whether wearing a face mask protects against mosquitoes, why mosquitoes around your Phoenix home can be a big problem, and how to control an infestation in your backyard (including recommendations for plants that ward off mosquitoes) as mosquitoes carry many diseases if they are left uncontrolled. If mosquitoes have taken over your home and yard, the pests experts at Green Home Pest Control can advise you about the best way to control mosquitoes safely and effectively.
Does Wearing A Face Mask Protect Against Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are attracted to humans through the carbon dioxide we exhale throughout the day. Because of this, you might wonder if wearing a face mask would offer some level of protection. Unfortunately, while a significant amount of carbon dioxide is released while we breathe, some can also emanate from our skin. Besides, while masks might reduce the amount of carbon dioxide, carbon dioxide will still enter the atmosphere and be detected by pests. The area of your face covered by the mask is unlikely to get bitten by mosquitoes, as it has an additional layer of protection. If mosquitoes are plaguing you in Phoenix, a face mask isn’t the best way to control mosquitoes. There are more effective ways to kill mosquitoes, prevent them, and keep itchy bites to a minimum.
Why Mosquitoes Around Your Home Is A Big Problem
Mosquitoes around your home can be a big problem for many reasons. They can cause painful and itchy bites, are challenging to get rid of, are resistant to insecticides, can cause heartworm disease in cats and dogs, allergic reactions, and carry diseases that can be fatal. But even if the infestation seems to be out of control, it is still possible to greatly reduce the mosquito population around your home safely and effectively. If you do not want to experiment with DIY home remedies, contact your local Phoenix pest control company for the best way to control mosquitoes based on your personal needs and situation.
How Mosquitoes Spread Malaria & Other Dangerous Diseases
Mosquitoes do not only cause red, itchy bites; they can also spread dangerous diseases.
Out of all the mosquitoes in North America, 12 can cause illnesses, including the following.
- Malaria is a common disease spread by mosquitoes. Two thousand cases are reported every year in North America.
- West Nile virus is the most common disease spread by mosquitoes.
- Other diseases carried by mosquitoes include dengue fever, chikungunya, and the Zika virus.
While it might be tempting to use DIY home remedies to get rid of mosquitoes or endure the bites, it is important to remember that mosquitoes carry diseases and can make you and your family sick. Read on to learn about the best way to control mosquitoes in your backyard.
How Do You Control The Mosquito Population In Your Back Yard?
As you can see, controlling a mosquito infestation is crucial. The following list offers several ways to do so safely.
- Plants that ward off mosquitoes can be an excellent addition to your landscaping. These include citronella, lavender, basil, rosemary, marigolds, rose geranium, catnip, lemon balm, garlic, and sage.
- Do not leave standing water in your backyard. Mosquitoes will use it to lay their eggs and propagate.
- Use mosquito insecticide around your property, and in standing water, you cannot drain.
- Use fogger chemicals for short-term mosquito control.
- Mosquito traps and bug zappers can be a good addition to your mosquito control efforts. You can also use them indoors if needed.
- Contact a pest control company for advice on mosquito control.
You do not have to put up with mosquitoes in your backyard. You can enjoy an evening out with friends and family without suffering from painful bites by using anything from natural remedies like plants that ward off mosquitoes to store-bought insecticide.
If you have tried DIY home remedies without success, it might be time to contact professionals to care for your mosquito infestation. Left uncontrolled, mosquitoes can multiply rapidly and spread diseases that can be fatal. Green Home Pest Control as the solution to your mosquito control problem! Reach out to us today to learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control services along with our our one-time or recurring mosquito control plans.