What Tucson Residents Should Know About Pest Control
April 22, 2022
Cockroaches, ants, bed bugs, mice, termites, silverfish… the list goes on. The sheer number of pests that want to invade your home can be overwhelming. As daunting as it may seem to take on these invaders, it’s important for all Tucson residents to know a few things about pests and pest control.
You may be asking yourself: How do you protect your property against all these threats? How serious is your pest problem? What are your options for pest control in Tucson? We have the answers to all of these questions and more. Let’s get started!
The Types Of Pests That Invade Homes
There are several different kinds of pests that residents should be on the lookout for in Tucson.
Here is a breakdown of the most common invaders in our area:
- Ants - There are multiple species of ant in Tucson, including red imported fire ants, carpenter ants, pavement ants, odorous house ants, and pharaoh ants.
- Cockroaches - Cockroaches are typically oval-shaped, flat, and brown and are often seen scuttling across kitchen floors at night. Common species include the American, German, and brown-banded cockroach.
- Termites - Termites are wood-eating insects that can infest the wooden elements of your home and cause severe damage over time.
- Bed bugs - Bed bugs emerge at night and feed on sleeping human hosts, leaving red, itchy bumps.
- Silverfish - Silverfish get their name from their fish-like shape and movements and silvery scales. They can damage your belongings as they feed on paper, fabrics, and glue.
- Spiders - Various types of spiders may enter your home seeking shelter and food. Most are harmless, but brown recluse and black widow spiders have dangerous bites.
- Mice - Mice are small rodents that may nest in your walls, attic, basement, or other secluded areas of your home.
- Rats - Rats are large rodents that can chew through almost any material. They not only damage property, but also spread various diseases.
These are just a handful of the many pests found in Tucson. If you spot a pest in your home that is not on this list, a pest control professional can help you identify it.
Do Pests In Tucson Cause Health Threats?
Pests are not only gross and annoying, but they can also be dangerous. Depending on the species, pests may bite, sting, cause allergic reactions, or spread disease.
Some pests, including silverfish and termites, cause property damage but are harmless to your health. However, other pests, such as cockroaches, ants, and rodents, carry a slew of dangerous diseases. Some species of ant can expose you to salmonellosis and streptococcus. Cockroaches are known to carry typhus, cholera, E. coli, salmonellosis, giardia, and other diseases. Mice and rats can make you seriously ill with pathogens, including leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, tularemia, and hantavirus.
Other pests, such as bed bugs, ticks, and fleas, bite and can cause allergic reactions. Fleas and ticks can also transmit diseases to humans and pets. Stinging insects such as bees and wasps leave painful stings and allergic reactions of varying severity. Spider bites can also be painful, and in the case of black widows, potentially fatal.
Pests can put your health and safety at risk. Regardless of the pests you are dealing with, it is in your best interest to contact a local pest control service as soon as possible.
The Damage To Your Property Pests Can Cause
Pests not only pose health risks, but they can also inflict property damage. Certain pests, including rodents, termites, carpenter ants, and silverfish can damage your home and belongings.
Rodents will chew through wood, drywall, and containers in their search for food and water. Rats are capable of chewing through just about any material, including plastic or metal pipes. Mice and rats are also known to chew through electrical wiring, which can result in fires.
Termites will devour the wooden elements of your home and can do significant damage over time. In severe cases, termite damage can lead to the total collapse of a structure. Carpenter ants also damage wooden areas of your home, as they drill through wood while constructing their nests. A local pest control professional can help you identify whether you have any wood-destroying pests on your property.
Other pests, such as moths, carpet beetles, and silverfish, can damage your personal belongings. Moths and carpet beetles can leave holes in your clothing, curtains, and other fabrics. Silverfish feed on paper, cloth, and glue and often damage books, envelopes, clothes, and other items.
Pests can cause a variety of property damage to Tucson homes. If you notice signs of pest-inflicted damage, a residential pest control company can help.
The Best Pest Control For Your Home
As you now know, there is a wide variety of pests in Tucson that want to invade your home. This may seem overwhelming, but Green Home Pest Control makes pest control easy.
If you have a pest problem, contact the best residential pest control company in Tucson. We will thoroughly eliminate the pests from your property in no time and restore your peace of mind. Schedule your free inspection with Green Home Pest Control today.