Keeping Carpenter Ants Away From Your Scottsdale Home
March 02, 2022
We don’t typically think of ants as creatures capable of devastating destruction. Sure, we know they can be nuisances, and some are definitely capable of biting or stinging us, causing severe pain, but we often forget about that one type of ant in Scottsdale that is similar to termites, capable of causing severe destruction to our homes and other wooden buildings: carpenter ants.
Signs Of Carpenter Ants
The first step to keeping carpenter ants from ruining your Scottsdale home is to know the signs of an infestation. Below are some signs of carpenter ants you might see if you are on the lookout for these destructive creatures:
- Carpenter ants are bigger than other ants: These ants are significantly larger, and they may also have wings. This differentiates them from other types of ants you may see here in Scottsdale, because the other types are going to be significantly smaller in size.
- Piles of sawdust or wood shavings: A sign of carpenter ants burrowing through the wooden boards of your Scottsdale home is the presence of sawdust or wood shaving piles. You will find these near baseboards, door jams, and windowsills. You may also notice "frass," or feces of carpenter ants in the form of damp wood shaving piles as well.
- Rustling noises in the walls: Much like rodents scurrying around in your walls, carpenter ants will make a rustling noise as they chew their way through the structure of your home.
- Smooth and polished wood: If carpenter ants have been at will appear to be unusually smooth, or polished, like it has been sanded.
The Extent Of Damage Carpenter Ants Can Do To Your Property
Carpenter ants, like termites, are capable of causing severe and sometimes irreversible damage to your Scottsdale home and property. Any structure made of wood that has accumulated any moisture is at risk for a carpenter ant infestation. If not caught soon enough, carpenter ants can cost you thousands of dollars at best, and at worst, they could completely compromise the structural integrity of your Scottsdale home. The only plus side to carpenter ants is that they are less secretive than termites, and are easier to catch before they have the chance to take the damage too far.
How To Completely Get Rid Of Carpenter Ants
While the best thing to do in the case of a carpenter ant infestation is to call a professional to handle them, there are some things you as a Scottsdale homeowner can do to prevent and get rid of carpenter ants:
- Remove rotted wood from your yard. Go around your yard and get rid of any rotten wood, as well as other debris made of wood that might attract carpenter ants. Make sure there is no debris near your house, discouraging them from coming close.
- Remedy excess moisture. If you notice leaks from faucets or fixtures, fix them as soon as possible to prevent moisture build-up that may attract carpenter ants.
- Seal your home. Make sure any cracks or gaps leading to your interior from outside are filled in, preventing access for carpenter ants and other pests.
How To Keep Carpenter Ants From Coming Back
If you find carpenter ants in your Scottsdale home, or you are worried they may have infested your house, the best thing you can do is call us at Green Home Pest Control. We have more than 30 years of experience identifying these difficult-to-find pests, and safely and effectively exterminating them. Our home pest control treatments are eco-friendly and safe for children and pets, and our expert technicians are armed with the skills and tools to not only safely eradicate carpenter ant infestations, but they will implement strategies to ensure they do not return to your Scottsdale home. Owning a home can be overwhelming, and having to worry about ants destroying the structural integrity of your home is especially so. Let us handle the carpenter ants for you — call us today!