Should I Be Worried About The Earwigs I Find In Phoenix?
February 26, 2022
They might look like an intimidating foe, but the small bug known as an earwig is not as scary as it looks. Instead, this pest is really only a threat to your plants. However, a pest is a pest, and at Green Home Pest Control, we know you don’t want any unwanted guests in your Phoenix home.
What Do Earwigs In Phoenix Look Like?
Earwigs are small insects, ranging from 1/5 of an inch to an inch in size. These small, reddish-brown pests have two antennae, six legs, and three main body parts. The earwigs’ scariest characteristic, however, is its fierce pincer attached to the end of its abdomen. They will typically be found in gardens, flower beds, and inside your Phoenix home.
Where Do Earwigs In Phoenix Like To Hide?
The earwig is not as terrifying as its name implies, and most of the myths about it are simply not true. Earwigs do not feast on brains, nor lay eggs in your ear. Instead, these bugs are typically found in locations such as:
- Under wet leaves on your property
- Burrowed into lawn clippings or mulch surrounding your house
- Inside lawn furniture such as chairs and tables, especially after rain
- Under bathroom sinks and toilets, near sources of dampness
- Basements, especially if damp or humid
Are There Natural Remedies For Earwigs?
While the best solution to get your Phoenix home free from earwigs is to entrust the services of Green Home Pest Control, there are some steps you can take as a homeowner to try to get rid of them on your own. Earwigs may be deterred from a home using some of the following methods:
- Vacuuming up earwigs may sound rather unappealing, but it will rid your garden, patio, or deck of these pests.
- Olive oil and soy sauce combined in equal amounts into a container can be placed in the spaces earwigs have been found, as the attraction may lure the bug and it will drown.
- Boric acid powder is often found in hardware stores, and can be known to kill earwigs that get near it, though it should not be used in any locations pets or children can be exposed to easily.
- Rubbing alcohol and water can be mixed in equal amounts also to spray when spotting an earwig, killing them immediately.
Although these methods may kill an earwig or two, they will not be effective against an entire infestation, so the best way to ensure your home is free of earwigs is with professional pest control.
The Best Way To Keep Earwigs Off Your Phoenix Property
The best way to get rid of earwigs from your Phoenix property is to make a call to the professionals. At Green Home Pest Control, we have experts focused on making a treatment plan tailored to your needs. We will work diligently to get all pests from your home. Additionally, our professionals will follow up routinely to be sure your Phoenix home is free from earwigs.