How To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Tucson, AZ Yard
October 25, 2021
Mosquitoes are a pest that keeps people hiding inside. Not only are they annoying with their itchy bites, but they are also dangerous. Mosquitoes are known as the most dangerous animal in the world because of the deadly diseases they transmit.
These delicate insects can transmit diseases such as the West Nile virus, Eastern equine encephalitis, and St. Louis encephalitis. They are also known to spread malaria and yellow fever in other parts of the world. Mosquitoes can transmit deadly parasitic heartworms to cats and dogs.
You probably don’t need us to give you any more reasons as to why you should deter mosquitoes from making a home on your Tucson property. But what we can tell you is how you might unknowingly be attracting them, what you can do to keep them away, and how to prevent them from biting you.
How You Might Be Attracting Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes don’t need much to survive, and what they do need can usually be found on residential properties. Because of this, you might be attracting this annoying pest to your property. The factors that attract mosquitoes and how you can reduce them are:
Mosquitoes only need a water bottle cap amount of water to reproduce. This means any amount of standing water on your property can be a potential breeding site:
- Make sure your lawn has no drainage issues.
- Clean out gutters regularly.
- Remove or treat ponds and bird baths to ensure mosquitoes cannot breed in them.
- Don’t overwater your plants.
Mosquitoes can’t survive in the sun, which is why they can be found in shaded areas:
- Keeping grass and foliage cut short can reduce shaded harborage areas.
- Remove any unnecessary debris and clutter from your yard.
- Some plants like taro, papyrus, water hyacinths, water lilies, and bamboo can attract mosquitoes:
- Use plants like citronella, lemongrass, basil, catnip, rosemary to discourage mosquitoes.
While reducing these factors can make a drastic difference in the size of the population around your property, it may not keep them away altogether. To do this, you should consider the benefits of professional services.
How You Can Keep Mosquitoes Away
The best way to keep mosquitoes away from your property is with assistance from professionals. If you are tired of dealing with mosquitoes on your Tucson property, you should contact us at Green Home Pest Control.
Our Green Home Mosquito Control Procedure consists of:
- A thorough inspection to identify where mosquitoes might be harboring
- Habitat removal of all standing water
- Misting treatments for adults
- Larvicide control to keep larvae from maturing into adults
- In2Care mosquito traps to reduce populations
You don’t have to hide inside because of mosquitoes when you have Green Home Pest Control on your side. Give us a call today to learn more about the services we offer.
How You Can Prevent Mosquitoes From Biting
If you want to spend time outside in untreated areas or continue to reduce the possibility of being bitten by mosquitoes, you can try the following techniques:
- Wear light-colored clothing that is tight-knit. Darker-colored clothing holds more heat, which attracts this insect.
- Avoid spending time outside around dusk and dawn; instead, limit your time when it is warmest out.
- Use fans to keep mosquitoes away from you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, especially beer, before going outside or while outside. This is because alcohol makes you produce more CO2, which mosquitoes are attracted to.
- Shower and change your clothes if you have been sweating.
Don’t forget to call us at Green Home Pest Control to get started on our effective mosquito control services.