The Scorpions In Phoenix Can Be A Real Pain
May 03, 2022
The mere mention of the possible presence of scorpions is sure to send many people into a panic, and for good reasons. Their sting can cause anything from paralysis to death and, at the very least, heart and breathing problems. And because they are a common pest, scorpions can be a real pain. Read on to learn all about scorpions so that you can protect yourself from this common but dangerous pest safely and effectively. If you find yourself with a scorpion infestation, you can rely on effective pest control in Phoenix from Green Home Pest Control.
What Kind of Scorpions Live In Phoenix?
There are four types of Arizona scorpions, and one is considered lethal. The following list will teach you about the different types of scorpions in Phoenix so that you can take appropriate precautions.
- The Arizona bark scorpion is small, light brown, and about two and a half inches in length.
- The Arizona striped tail scorpion is very common, pale yellow in color, and measures between one and three inches.
- The Arizona giant hairy scorpion is the largest in North America and can reach up to seven inches.
- The yellow ground scorpion is more slender than other scorpions, with a thinner tail.
The Arizona bark scorpion is the most dangerous, while the others are more scary than lethal. Now that you know all about scorpions that might have invaded your Arizona home let's learn how to control them and feel safe on your property.
Can Scorpions Kill My Pets?
Protecting your pets is one reason to get rid of scorpions. But unless you are facing the threat of the Arizona bark scorpion described above, you do not need to worry as much about your pets' safety as the sting from the other types of scorpions is not known to be deadly. The Arizona bark scorpion is considered the most dangerous scorpion in North America. If your pet is stung by a less dangerous type, it could still suffer from conditions that will require medical intervention. Such conditions include a stinger stuck in their paw or extreme pain. If your pet was stung by a scorpion, look for the following symptoms, which will require an urgent visit to the veterinarian:
- Dilated pupils
- Watery eyes
- Excessive drooling
- Loss of consciousness
If your pet was stung by a scorpion, the best course of action is to seek veterinary assistance just in case the effects of the sting are more significant than you might anticipate.
Am I Attracting Scorpions Accidentally?
You may have been attracting scorpions accidentally. If you have seen scorpions where there should not be any, make sure you prevent them by taking the following precautions.
- Seal areas around doors and windows where scorpions might be coming in.
- Ensure that scorpions aren't making nests in closets and other dark areas of your home.
- Keep the periphery of your home clean of woodpiles and other hiding spots for scorpions.
- Turn off any night lights that might be attracting insects. Insects are a source of food for scorpions, and they will follow them where they might be abundant, including in your home.
- Do not keep standing water by your home.
If you still have scorpions despite your best efforts, consider the following advice on the best way to eliminate scorpions provided by the pest control experts at Green Home Pest Control.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Scorpions For Good
Scorpions in Arizona can be a pain, and for your safety and that of your pets, you will want to exterminate them as soon as possible. While not all scorpions in Arizona are lethal, they can still cause significant issues that require possibly lengthy and expensive medical interventions. If you still have scorpions in your home despite your best efforts to get rid of them, it is best to contact experts trained in this specific issue. Options can include scorpion insecticide, spraying your foundations regularly, learning to use black lighting to detect scorpions even when they are hiding, and more.
Living in Arizona does not mean that you have to put up with pests in your home. You can get rid of scorpions safely and effectively with the help of professionals who can determine the best course of action for your specific situation. If you find yourself with a scorpion infestation, you can rely on Green Home Pest Control to resolve your scorpion infestation today.