Three Tricks To Keep From Bringing Bed Bugs Into Your Gilbert Home
The most important fact you can know about bed bugs is that they are hitchhiking pests. Bed bugs don't live in your yard or get into your home the way a long list of other pests do. If you hope to prevent bed bug infestations, you need to be proactive about keeping these bugs from coming home with you, your family, and anyone who stays in your home.
Here are the three best suggestions from the on-staff bed bug control experts here at Green Home Pest Control:
- Perform bed bug inspections: When it comes to bed bugs, it is best that you see them before they see you. We recommend performing a bed bug inspection any time you stay somewhere away from home, even if it is the home of a friend or family member. Use the section below titled: How To Know If There Is A Bed Bug Problem In Your Gilbert Home to find bed bugs while away from home.
- Protect your laundry: Bed bugs are strongly attracted to the scent of laundry items. These insects survive on blood and they have a preference for humans. You smell good to them—and so does your laundry. Store laundry in a sealed plastic bag to keep bed bugs out. A trash bag and a bread tie are all that is needed.
- Inspect furniture: Bed bugs don't just come 3into your home with luggage and clothing. They can be brought into your home from another home by way of used furniture items. Perform a detailed inspection before you bring any used furniture into your home.
These tips can offer you quite a bit of protection against having a bed bug infestation. If bed bugs find a way into your Gilbert home, contact Green Home Pest Control for heat remediation or a targeted bed bug treatment.
What Smells Will Keep Gilbert Bed Bugs Away?
There is no smell that will keep bed bugs away from your Gilbert home. Since bed bugs are almost exclusively indoor pests, you can't keep them out, or drive them out, using smells they don't like.
You can, however, use smells to keep them away from your luggage and bags. Some travelers have success using a spray derived from lavender essential oil.
If you like the scent of lavender, this might be a great option for you when you go on vacation or travel to see friends and family.
How To Know If There Is A Bed Bug Problem In Your Gilbert Home
It is impossible to completely exclude bed bugs from your home. Therefore, it is important to use early detection along with ongoing bed bug prevention. Here are a few signs that bed bugs have gotten into your home:
- Bed bug bites - A bed bug will typically bite three times. These bites will be in a line or zig-zag. If more than one bug bites you, the bites will be in the same general area and they are likely to look like a pathway across your skin. This pathway pattern occurs because bed bugs feed, inch forward, and feed again.
- Black feces - If you notice black spots on your pillowcases, sheets, bedding, furniture, or other fabrics in your home, you may have a bed bug infestation on your hands. Fecal spotting is common with bed bugs. Perform a more detailed inspection in areas where fecal spotting is found. Use a debit card to drag along the seams of mattresses and box springs. Look between your mattress and box spring and look for a group of bed bugs all huddled together in a region the size of your thumbnail.
- Shed skins - Bed bugs shed their skins as they develop. If you find these tiny white or tan skins in cracks, seams, stitching, and crevices, bed bugs may not be far away.
- Tiny white eggs - Bed bugs lay their eggs in tight spaces. These eggs are 1mm long and white in coloration. They may be in a group or scattered about as individuals.
- Bed bugs - Learn to identify bed bugs in all stages of development from immature nymphs to adult bed bugs, which are about 4.5 mm long, seed-shaped, and rusty brown in color.
These tips will help you catch bed bugs early and stop them before they drive you crazy and deprive you of too much sleep. Ongoing bed bug infestations can lead to sleep deprivation, anemia, and other health concerns.
The Gilbert Pest Professionals You Need To Call With Your Bed Bug Problem
If you find bed bugs, we don't recommend trying to get control of them with DIY treatments. These insects are notoriously difficult to control. Contact Green Home Pest Control for bed bug control in Gilbert. We will apply the most advanced bed bug control solutions available and we will select an appropriate treatment for your specific needs and budget. We also provide long-term solutions such as helping with the purchase of bed bug-resistant mattresses at discount rates. Reach out to us today for immediate assistance with pest control in Gilbert.