How To Keep Roaches Out Of Your Surprise Home
November 05, 2021
Most people know that cockroaches are pretty disgusting to have around. But, the truth is that they are dangerous and pose risks to homeowners in Surprise. Because they are so hazardous, knowing how to identify and prevent them is key to protecting your home and yourself from the risks of roaches.
To start with, you need to know what different cockroach species look like. The most common species in Phoenix and throughout the country is the German cockroach. These pests are primarily tan, but they have two black stripes that run parallel behind their heads. They grow to be about half an inch long.
One of the other most prevalent species is the American cockroach. They are reddish-brown, and their bodies look greasy. They are the largest species in the United States and can reach up to three inches in length.
Lastly, the Oriental cockroach is black and is sometimes referred to as a black beetle because it has beetle-like characteristics. However, they are cockroaches and have six legs and wings that lay flat on their backs, just like other roaches.
Where Should You Start With Cockroach Prevention?
While cockroaches are dangerous and can spread dozens of different diseases, they aren’t that difficult to understand when it comes to their behavior. They like humid environments with access to food sources, and they thrive in cluttered spaces.
Because of this, one of the best things you can do to deter roaches is to deep clean your home with a special focus on kitchens. Here’s what to do:
- Clean out forgotten areas like under appliances and inside cabinets and cupboards.
- Roaches can live off of tiny crumbs, so always wipe up food and drink spills right away.
- Keep pet food stored in sealed containers. Store food items like sugar and flour in airtight containers, too.
- Regularly clean dishes and sweep and mop floors.
- Remove clutter around the kitchen and throughout the rest of your home.
- Place lids on garbage cans and always keep your house and yard free of trash.
Four More Cockroach Prevention Measures For Homeowners
After you’ve spent time deep cleaning and implementing good sanitation habits, there are a few more general cockroach prevention tips to follow. And, as an added plus, many of these steps can also help keep other pests out.
- Identify any moisture problems and fix leaky plumbing such as pipes and faucets and use dehumidifiers in particularly humid rooms.
- Make it more difficult for roaches to get inside by fixing broken screens in doors and windows.
- Install weather stripping and door sweeps around the house.
- Look around for cracks and holes in the exterior walls and foundation and seal these up with caulk or foam insulation.
Eliminating attracting factors and minimizing entry points can go a long way toward preventing pests of all kinds.
The Final And Most Important Cockroach Control Step
Once you’ve done what you can to keep cockroaches out of your Surprise home, the last thing to do is contact the experts at Green Home Pest Control. Cockroaches are invasive and widespread, so they are difficult to completely deter on your own. But, with our residential pest control plans, we will keep roaches out of your house year-round.
We even offer free estimates, so give us a call today to get started or learn more about our cockroach control options.