11 Simple Tips To Keep Rodents Out Of Your Phoenix Home
If there were a chart rating pests for the problems they cause, rodents would be high on the list. Not only are these furry invaders annoying with the way they crawl through walls and ceiling voids late at night, but they are also dangerous and destructive. The good news is that rodents are preventable. To keep these troublesome pests out of your Phoenix home, here are 11 simple tips for you to try.
Common Rodents Around Phoenix
Phoenix, Arizona, is home to a variety of rodent species. Not all are known for invading homes. The two rodents you are most likely to find trying to sneak their way into your home are rats and mice. Here is what you need to know about each.
Mice are the most common home-invading rodents across America. This is mainly to do with their small size, fast reproduction, and ability to squeeze through tiny holes. Identify a mouse by its large ears, beady red or black eyes, light brown to grey fur, pointed nose, long, slightly hairy tail, and white underbelly.
Rats are less common than mice but equally, if not more problematic, around homes. The biggest thing that sets rats apart is their larger size. Identify a rat by its rounded ears, rough grey to brown fur, long scaly tail, small black eyes, pointed nose, and light-colored underbelly.
Factors That Attract Rodents To Homes
Rodents look for three things in a home, accessible food, available water sources, and adequate places to hide. Wall and ceiling voids, crawl spaces, and storage areas provide rodents with safe and secluded areas to build their nests, settle down, and have babies. Food left out on countertops, open trash cans, general clutter, and unsealed pantries give rodents many opportunities to find a bite to eat. Finally, leaky faucets, broken utility piping, and water build up around your home allow rodents a place to find a drink whenever they are thirsty. If your home offers these three things, rodents will be much more likely to invade.
How To Deter Rodents From Your Home
You can prevent rodents in two ways, by reducing attractants and by sealing off points of entry. To accomplish these goals around your home, here are 11 simple tips you should put in place.
- Eliminate sources of water build up in and around your home.
- Make sure your gutters are in good working order and install wire screens around out spouts to prevent rodents from climbing up.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures in and around your home.
- Pick up after your pets and wash out their food and water bowl after every meal.
- Store leftovers and food stored in cardboard boxes or plastic bags into airtight rodent-proof containers.
- Clean up clutter and debris from your yard.
- Tidy up storage areas.
- Trim back bushes and tree branches at least five feet from your home’s exterior.
- Use a caulking gun and some steel wool to fill in gaps and cracks in your home’s foundation.
- Repair window and door screens.
- Thoroughly clean your home regularly, and do your best to keep it clean.
A Better Way To Handle Rodent Problems
To make sure rodents get and stay out of your Phoenix, AZ home, we offer advanced solutions at Green Home Pest Control. Our services are not only friendly to the environment but also stand up to any traditional pest control methods you will find. When you choose us, you don’t just get top-quality performance and proven solutions; you get a team who is eager to solve your pest problem with a smile on their face.
Reach out to our team today for more details about our services or to schedule an inspection for your Phoenix home.