What You Need To Know About Pigeons Around Your Phoenix Property
December 04, 2020
According to a national survey done in 2016 by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, more than 45 million people participate in the leisurely activity of bird watching. Most people who birdwatch do so from the comfort of their own home. If someone is an avid lover of birds, they might even place birdbaths and feeders around their property. This is all well and good until pest birds start coming around. When it comes to pigeons, you should not be watching these birds for their beauty, but instead for the problems they cause. Here are a few things home and business owners should know about these annoying and potentially dangerous pests.
A Basic Summary Of Pigeons
Pigeons can be beautiful birds. However, they can also be tremendous pests. Identify a pigeon by its varied color, whitish rump, two red feet, and by the two black bars on its wings and broad band on its tail. Unlike other birds that hunt for insects, fish, or feed on vegetation, pigeons almost exclusively eat human food. Perching around homes and businesses, these avian pests will wait until an opportunity presents itself for them to swoop down and snatch food. In larger cities like Phoenix, pigeons are typically braver and will regularly attempt to steal food from people’s plates while they are nearby.
Are Pigeons Dangerous?
Everyone who has dealt with pigeons knows they are annoying, but did you know these pests are also dangerous? It’s true. Often referred to flying rodents, pigeons are known for spreading a range of disease-causing organisms through their droppings. These organisms are picked up from the dirty, bacteria-ridden food these pests regularly consume. Here are just a few common diseases pigeons spread around Phoenix:
How To Deter Pigeons From Your Property
Pigeons will roust in secluded areas higher up on buildings and will congregate around locations that provide them with the most opportunities to find food. To deter these pests from settling down around your business or residential property, try these simple exclusion tips:
- Repair damage to your roofline and seal off openings pigeons might try to use to get into your attic.
- Create a steep-sloped surface around areas pigeons nest.
- Keep the area around your home or business as clean as possible and free of accessible food.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and working properly.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up around your property.
Methods That Do Not Work For Pigeons
The internet is filled with interesting “solutions” for pigeon problems. Here are a few methods you should avoid and why:
- Noisemakers: Machines that make noise to deter pigeons only work for a short time and lose their effectiveness the second pigeons figure out that the sound means them no harm.
- Fake animals: Stuffed or prop predatory animals will only scare pigeons a few times before they become the wiser, then will be nothing more than decoration.
- Smell-based deterrents: Pigeons dislike the smell of mothballs and will generally avoid them if possible. Unfortunately, if your property is attractive enough, pigeons will get over this dislike and roust nearby anyway.
The Best Way To Prevent Pigeons
At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do to deter pigeons from your property. If you are looking for a more reliable and simple solution to pigeon problems, the experts at Green Home Pest Control would like to help. Our team offers a range of services designed to effectively deter pigeons from settling down and causing trouble around your Phoenix property.
Call us today for more details about our pigeon control services, or to schedule an appointment for your property.